Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ty's room...art project

Ty's Spiderman room needed a little something to dress it up a little. He has a new big boy bed, and to make him want to sleep in it, I agreed to buy Spiderman sheets. I bought them from Pottery Barn and added a red and gray comforter from Kohls.

We put up a Fathead Spiderman on his wall...but it still wasn't enough.
 
So, I searched the web looking for something not too tacky and I found these...
 ...but they were the wrong color, and the wrong price ($350 for the set of 4 large ones).
So, I decided to make them. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 4 stretched artist canvas for around $12 (30% off!), some more paintbrushes, and a few bottles of paint. My total cost for the project is less than $20.
So here's how I did it:
Step 1: Paint the base colors

Step 2: Draw the background shape

Step 3: Paint the background shape

Step 4: Draw the words

Step 5: Paint the words

Step 6: Outline everything in black and shade the letters
Step 7: Put 'em up!


After we had all of this put up, we had a blank wall in between the windows. So, we moved Spiderman there and ordered a Batman to go where Spiderman used to be. I figured that Spiderman deserved to be seen first when you walk in the room since Ty has Spiderman sheets. I'm sure it didn't matter where I put them, but I like the colors of him better than the Batman colors. I didn't take a picture of him in Ty's room, but here's what he looks like from a pic I found on the web.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you put them up crooked...they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on those canvases! They look better than the $350 ones. And, Ty's room looks super cute, too!

    ReplyDelete

Our Home in the Woods

Our Home in the Woods